April 26, 2012

Dining Room Makeover On A Budget

During our house search one of the (many) items on my wish list was a formal dining room. Ok, not really a “formal” dining room so much as a separate room for dining. And once we moved in the dining room was one of the few rooms I furnished right away. I’m not sure why since in a year and a half we’ve only eaten in it twice. Maybe it was because it’s the first room you see when you walk into our house? Or maybe I just couldn’t live with the light fixture!?
Before
I found the perfect dining chairs at Home Outfitters. In addition to looking nice, they were cheap (or should I say “inexpensive”, “budget conscious” or “affordable” as I say to my clients). And so I bought them. I hadn’t found the perfect table yet (well I had, but it took a while for me to order it), so the new chairs sat without a table for months.
During


I really wanted this wallpaper for the dining room but it's just too pricey. Instead I decided to see what I could do with paint. I had 3 Ikea frames I planned to hang on the walls so I decided to colour block around them. This is what I came up with, which I entered in a contest with Style at Home magazine and won.
After

Next up?  Storage, an area rug and possibly drapery panels. However I'm now trying to focus my time and money on rooms we actually use so that might not happen for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment